How to ace a video job interview
Tips on how to prepare for a video interview and get the job.
Job interviews done by video, for example, using Skype, are becoming more common.
You need to prepare for video interviews differently than you would for normal face-to-face interviews.
Plan where you'll do the interview
Choose a quiet place with no distractions, and use a computer or laptop computer with a webcam and good internet connection.
- Have a plain background that won’t distract your interviewer.
- Dress like you would for a 'normal' interview.
- Sit comfortably.
Get used to talking to someone using a computer
- Practice talking to the webcam, not the people on-screen, so you’re more likely to be looking your interviewer in the eye.
- It’s OK to look at the screen when you’re listening.
- Try using a headset – it might keep you from talking too loudly or quietly.
Body language is important
Body language is important in video interviews.
If you look off to the side of the computer or fidget, it will stand out to your interviewer.
- Be upbeat and smile during the interview.
- Try not to slouch in your seat.
- Keep your hands down, you may even want to rest them in your lap.
The advantage of a video interview
Your interviewer won't be able to see any helpful notes you stick to the edge of your screen.
You can stick a few things on there, as long as your body language and eye contact aren’t affected too badly. A note could:
- remind you to smile or talk more slowly
- be a question you want to ask at the end of the interview.
Do a test run
Ask a friend to help do a test run a day or two before the interview.
That way, you can check how you look, sort out any technical issues that come up and generally make sure things go smoothly.
- Use an account name that’s professional and easy to remember such as your first initial and last name.
- Make sure your background and face are well-lit so the interviewer can see you clearly.
- Make sure your picture isn’t shaky.
Find out more
- Interview preparation, tests and questions
- What to wear to a job interview
- Job-hunters’ ebook
- Sign up to our e-newsletter to get job hunting tips delivered straight to your inbox
- Curry College Center for Career Development, ‘Tips for Skype Interviewing’, accessed June 2019, (www.youtube.com).
- Indeed career guide, ‘Video Interview Guide: Tips for a Successful Interview’, accessed April 2019, (www.indeed.com).
- Robert Half, ‘How to Nail Your Next Video Job Interview’, April 2018, (www.roberthalf.com).
Updated 26 Jun 2019