This privacy statement applies to personal and other information collected on the website careers.govt.nz.
Collection of personal information
We may collect your personal information in the following circumstances:
- when you create, modify or use any accounts or registered user facilities available through this website, such as My Account or Work Connect;
- when you complete forms on this website (including e-newsletter sign-ups, surveys, search forms, competition entry forms, registration forms and other forms); and
- in the course of receiving questions, comments or other communications from you.
Careers.govt.nz is owned and maintained by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC).
Full information about the Tertiary Education Commission's privacy policies, including how we collect, protect and may share any information you give us, is on the TEC's website.
How we use information provided when you sign up to My Account
When you sign up to My Account we ask you for some personal information. This is how we use it.
First and Family name, Email address and Birthday
We use this information to identify you as a person and help us keep your records separate from other people with the same name as you.
We also use your name and email address to:
- communicate with you by email, such as when you need a sign-up confirmation or password reset
- add to your CV for you, when you use CV Builder.
We use this information to make sure we are meeting our obligation to provide support to Māori and Pacific people.
We need to understand what proportion of people in those groups are using our services, check whether they are adequately represented, and improve our services to those groups.
Gender, Region, Iwi and “User Group” (eg Primary school student, Tertiary student, Unemployed, Employed)
We use this information to:
- make sure we are providing the right information and resources for all New Zealanders who need them
- allow us to assess the reach of our services across New Zealand
- if necessary to improve the way we publicise and deliver our services.
Tick box “I have permission to use this site from my parents/guardians"
We use this information to make sure that young people have appropriate permission and support to use our services.
How did you hear about us?
We use this information to assess our marketing and awareness campaigns and if necessary to improve the way we publicise our services.
How we use Work Connect programme information
Your career consultant can answer questions or explain anything you’re unsure of.
This statement explains how:
- we will collect, hold, disclose and use your personal information
- you can access the information we hold about you
- you can ask us to correct this information.
Why we collect information
We collect information from you so we can:
- register you on the programme
- assess the programme
- support you into employment.
What we collect
The information we collect includes:
- registration information
- details for assessing your eligibility
- surveys evaluating the programme.
How we collect your information
We only collect personal information about you if you:
- give it to us
- let us collect it from another agency.
Who we share your information with
We may need to share your information with other agencies or people that help us with the programme.
We may also disclose your information if:
- we need to protect your safety or the safety of others
- we need to help an agency responsible for law enforcement.
How we store your information
Your information is stored securely by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) in accordance with the Public Records Act 2005 and the Privacy Act 2020.
Once we no longer need it, we will delete or destroy it.
How to access or correct your information
You can access any personal information we hold about you, and ask us to correct it.
To do this, or if you have concerns about your privacy, email our Work Connect national manager, Vaidehi Kavthekar, Vaidehi.email@example.com, or the TEC Privacy Officer, Privacy@tec.govt.nz.
General use of your information
The personal information we collect will be used to operate this website, assist you with your career planning, provide you with services you have authorised and requested, and provide you with advice and information we think may help you. We may also use your personal information to:
- respond to any questions or correspondence from you
- improve this website and any related services
- carry out internal research and development
- provide you with information about a service you are using (including critical updates and announcements)
- eliminate the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information
- customise this website to suit your particular preferences and interests
- send a message you have created using this website – the message could be to us, or any other recipient specified by you
- analyse website usage, trends and statistics
- supply you with further information concerning products and services we think could be of interest to you
- carry out any other use authorised by you, or told to you at the time of collection.
We may disclose your personal information if you have authorised us to do so, or if we have told you about the intended disclosure and you have not objected to that disclosure.
We may also disclose your personal information in any of the following circumstances:
- we believe disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property (including, without limitation, our employees or contractors), or enforce any legal rights we may have
- we believe disclosure is necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of you, us or others
- we believe disclosure is necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions
- we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information.
Confidentiality and security of information you supply
We will take every reasonable precaution to ensure your personal information is stored securely and cannot be accessed by others. However, you should be aware that there are inherent risks associated with transmitting personal information across the internet.
As you use this website, certain statistical information may be passively collected (gathered without your active participation). This will be done using technologies and means such as internet protocol addresses, cookies, internet tags and navigational data collection. Information collected may include:
- server addresses
- top-level domain names
- dates and times of visits to the website
- pages accessed
- documents downloaded
- links clicked on
- search terms used
- previous websites visited
- the type of browser and operating system used
- the type of device used
- demographic information such as age group and gender (however, this information does not allow us to identify you personally).
This information is used for website improvement and to ensure a personalised user experience.
We use a technology commonly referred to as ’cookies’. A cookie is a token that is stored on your computer. When you access careers.govt.nz the token acts as a record-keeping device. Cookies help us provide additional functionality to you and help us analyse site usage more accurately.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies. If you do not wish to receive cookies from careers.govt.nz, you can set your browser to refuse them or to warn you when you are about to receive one. Please note that some website features and services may not function properly if you disable cookies.
Access and correction
You have the right to access and to request correction of any of your personal information that we hold. To exercise this right, or to ask us anything else in relation to your privacy, please contact us in writing or by email.
The privacy officer
Tertiary Education Commission
PO Box 27-048
We value your comments and opinions. If you have comments, questions or complaints about any of our services or website policies please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated 11 Apr 2022